Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Let's start on Thursday...

I hope you've had time to get started on the books. We're actually going to begin with "Learning Sequences in Music" by Gordon. (Felicia, I have yours. I will get it to you tomorrow.) Please read the preface and first chapter for Thursday. I'll first post some MC questions (I purchased the study guide to go with the book.) I'll also post the answers to the questions at the end of the post. The MC questions are meant to be a guide for you and don't necessary require you to respond to the post. (However, if you have something to say, say it.) After that, we'll launch into the discussion questions for the first chapter. I ask that you give your thoughts to each discussion question. I believe the way the questions are asked will solve this problem, but please remember that your responses are not supposed to be an evaluation of the book itself. Whether or not you agree with his theories, we want to take the information presented, allow ourselves adequate time to process it, and then decide what, if any, is useful in our teaching. Another thing: I think this blog thing will work, however, I've never done a discussion group in this way before. We'll figure out what works together.

In other news, this book is very exciting to me. In just the first chapter, it has challenged the way I think about teaching music. Gordon discusses things/ideas that were never discussed in my college years. I love it when my way of thinking is challenegegd. I can't wait to see what you gleen from the text.

No comments: